Front

Parish and School History

St. Ann Church was founded on Mar. 3, 1903 with Rev. Casimir Slominski as pastor. The parish was necessary to serve the large number of Polish immigrants who had settled west of St. Adalbert Church.  St. Ann School was opened later that year by the  Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. Within two years, enrollment numbered 373 students. By 1920, 1,352 students were enrolled in the school.

To meet a demand in the neighborhood, St. Ann opened a high school in the neighborhood in 1937. The high school was located on the upper floors of the church. As time went on, this high school became an all-girls school.

By the 1960s, the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth had help from lay teachers to meet the needs at the school. Despite the lay teachers presence, the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth remained at the school until 2005.

 

From A History of the Parishes of the Archdiocese of Chicago1980