About 8th Grade
Welcome to 8th grade! During your student’s last year at St. Ann School, our teachers focus on refining the skills they have built throughout junior high and prepping them for high school.
- In 8th grade reading, students will be following a personalized learning workflow that allows them to work at their own pace. Students will be expected to make responsible decisions by selecting partners they can work well with to complete practice work and prepare for mastery assessments. Students will also be expected to select a trimester or monthly goal each trimester and be responsible for staying on track with their independent reading.
- In 8th grade math, students will begin exploring looking at data through equations, tables, and graphs. Students will work at their own pace to master different standards. Students will also be able to solve multi-step algebraic equations and determine the number of solutions a system of equations has.
- In 8th grade ELA, students will learn different Greek and Latin root words. Every week, students will be expected to study their vocabulary words to prepare for cumulative quizzes. Students will also learn how to use their knowledge of root words and context clues to determine the meaning of new words.
- In 8th grade science, students will explore science standards through project based learning. They will look closely at how organisms interact in an ecosystem, traits, and climate change.
- In 8th grade social studies, students will learn about American history. Students will closely examine slavery, reconstruction, the World Wars, and how they have shaped our country.
- In 8th grade religion, students will learn about the life of Jesus by closely examining the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Students will also prepare for Confirmation and complete service hours.
We are looking forward to the 2022-2023 school year and getting to know you and your child.
About our Teacher
Mr. Benjamin MacDonald joins St. Ann this year through the University of Notre Dame Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE) program. Mr. MacDonald is from Providence, Rhode Island. In 2021, he graduated from Providence College with a Bachelor’s Degree in Secondary Education and History and is currently pursuing his Master’s in Education through the ACE program. Mr. MacDonald enjoys basketball, frisbee, playing guitar and piano, and going on hiking trips. He is incredibly excited to serve at St. Ann, to grow as an educator, and cultivate relationships with students, their families, and the Pilsen community!