Twist and Shout
St. Ann School partners with Twist and Shout to offer Chess club to students in K-8 as part of our extended day. Twist and Shout School of the Performing Arts serves almost four hundred teenagers from Chicago and the surrounding area teaching integrated activities such as chess, ballroom dance, and physical activities. School is in a position to provide experiential, mind and body programming year-round. Every year, Twist and Shout grows its impact by serving youth and increasing the size and intensity of programming. Our students consistently report elevated confidence, communication skills, teamwork, and personal responsibility. Chess club offers the following skills to students:
- SOCIAL: Chess builds inter-personal skills through game playing and encouraging dynamic interaction.
- PHYSICAL: Chess involves controlling oneself physically particularly impulsiveness for extended periods of time.
- ACADEMIC: Chess involves a whole range of cognitive skills including analysis, planning, forward thinking, memory and a knowledge of history.
- CREATIVE: Chess involves imagination, thinking creatively, and the ability to find the best move under pressure.
- EMOTIONAL: The program focuses on resilience building through a mind sport